Fungi are a category of plants that includes yeasts, molds and dermatophytes (skin fungi). And once they are allowed to breed in and around the toenails, they can be a real nuisance to eliminate. Fungi disfigure toenails, changing their color and thickness. They can also cause physical pain and impair your ability to walk.
Nail fungi afflict toenails about four times more frequently than fingernails. And once fungus latches on to a toenail, it can spread easily from nail to nail, from foot to foot and even to your hands and fingernails.
Nailing Down Toenail Fungus
In order to eliminate toenail fungus, its important to determine the type and understand its cause. Microorganisms such as fungus, yeast, and bacteria are always present on the surface of the body, especially in the area around the feet where it is warm and moist. Natural nails are porous and allow air to circulate and moisture to evaporate around them. But artificial nails and nail polishes trap excess moisture under the nail and provide a breeding ground for moisture-loving bacteria or fungi.
Fungal infections develop when moisture gets trapped under a toenail. These infections can also develop when damage to the nail causes an opening in the skin. For instance, an ingrown toenail may allow fungus to enter under the toenail and breed.
Fighting Nail Fungus
There are a number of methods that can be used for toenail fungus. Topical ointments and powders may help contain a fungus infection, but they won’t be able to completely fix the condition. Therefore, it is likely that you will become re-infected and have to begin all over again.
Toenail fungus penetrates the toenail and its bed, so an effective product must work from the inside out. Conventional drugs, such as griseofulvin and ketoconazole should be used with caution. First of all, these medications have only a 50 percent effectiveness rate for eliminating nail fungus from the toes. They can also take as long as 18 months to work. And the side effects of conventional medications range from mild (minor stomach upset) to serious (liver toxicity). Even with these oral drugs, about half the toenail-fungus cases come back within a year. In addition, these drugs can be quite expensive.
Home Remedies for Nail Fungus
Many people find satisfaction in home remedies for nail fungus. Some have cited that they are more satisfied with the results and the lower cost than their synthetic counterparts — and they are not associated with the dangerous side effects of conventional drugs.
- Pau D’ Arco: This natural herb grows in the rainforests of the Amazon and in South and Latin America. It is widely used for it’s potent action against harmful organisms.
Pau D’Arco contains quinoids, benzenoids, and flavonoids. The quinoids are the main constituents that make Pau D’ Arco one of the most effective home remedies for nail fungus.
- Oregano: Wild oregano is a woody plant that is found mostly in Mediterranean areas. It can be used for a number of different types of infections. According to the latest studies, the primary ingredient in oregano, carvacrol, is responsible for its effectiveness against harmful organisms.
- Lemongrass: Grown mostly in Southeast Asia, lemongrass has been known for years for its potent properties. Lemongrass is one of the best home remedies for nail fungus.
- Horopito: Horopito is a flowering plant that is extremely effective against candida. Horopito also contains the powerful antioxidant flavonoids – quercetin and taxifolin.
- Anise Seed: Anise seed, or pimpinella asisum, is a native plant of Greece and Egypt. It has a licorice-like taste and is used commercially to scent a flavor a number of products. Anise has been recognized for thousands of years for its beneficial properties. It has been used as an expectorant, to assist digestion, fight infections, support the immune system, enhance milk production, and as a home remedy for nail fungus. Anise seed is powerful against fungus bacteria, viruses, parasites, and insects.
- Bacillus Laterosporus: This healthy bacteria can help promote the health of the colon ad eliminate fungal infections. Bacillus laterosporus is effective against candida, athlete’s foot, nail fungus and toenail fungus, as it can reestablish a healthy probiotic environment in the colon, and balance the breeding ground for fungus.
Putting It All Together
Mycozil puts all of these excellent home remedies for nail fungus together in one product. Mycozil is the ultimate solution for nail fungus, toenail fungus, candida, yeast infection, athlete’s foot and other fungal infections.